Plant domestication, most scientists think, made its debut some 10,000 years ago, with grain storage cropping up about 11,000 years ago. An ancient site in Israel yielded a hearty collection of grains, which were dated to about 23,000 years ago, according to a 2004 Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences paper. But such an early appearance of wild cereals in the human diet—as this new paper proposes—would push the assumed date of substantial grass-seed eating back more than 70,000 years.
This first bit is taken from an article published on December 17th, 2009 by author Katherine Harmon for Scientific American, and can also be found on yesterday's (2/27/2017) post on the official Ancestral Health Radio Facebook page.
If our hunter-gatherer kin were eating cereal grains, why are modern diet fads telling us to avoid them? That's what today's guest, Dr. John Douillard, breaks down and explains on this episode of Ancestral Health Radio. John argues that it's not the grains, it's your porous digestive tract. And that It's not the dairy, it's your clogged lymphatic system.
So what're we to do?
Dr. John Douillard explains how we can heal our gut, drain our lymph, and stoke our lost metabolic fire. All with common fruits, vegetables, and spices.
On top of that, in today's episode, you'll learn...
- Why our ability to detox is directly linked to our overall health,
- The deer study and why your dietary needs change with the seasons,
- How to make your own "prebiotic slime", and...
- Much, much more.
- John explains what happens when you take ancient health practices (that have been time-tested for thousands of years) and back them up with modern science
- Why Dr. Douillard's intended three-month stay in India turned into an immersive year and a half study of traditional Ayurvedic medicine
- Dr. Douillard breaks down the meaning of the word "Ayurveda" and why that's important
- What is circadian medicine?
- John tells us why we may have prematurely convicted wheat
- Dr. Douillard talks about how we as a species have been gathering grains longer than we've technically been hunting wild game
- The underlying key to optimal health
- John says our ability to digest well is directly linked to our ability to detoxify well
- Do anti-nutrients act as intestinal immune stimulators?
- Why John says we need a strong digestive system
- John gives suggestions on how and where to improve your diet
- The problem with vegetable oils
- The types of bread Dr. Douillard suggests we buy
- Dr. John Douillard versus Dr. David Perlmutter (author of Grain Brain)
- James discusses what he calls "metabolic flexibility"
- Why eating with the seasons impacts your gut microbiome
- The deer study
- John's 3-season diet challenge
- The brain-drain effect and the lymphatic system's role within our body
- The three main causes of aging, according to Dr. Douillard
- What happens when you alkalize your blood
- What are static electricity clinics and why would you want to alkalize your blood?
- What happens when you predigest coconut oil?
- Why certain farmers have a hard time breaking down wheat and dairy due to a lack of microbial diversity from pesticide dust
- What is baker's asthma and why does it matter?
- Why John says you don't need to ferment your foods in the summertime
- The huge difference between nostril and mouth breathing
- Why your dietary needs change with the seasons
- What does lipophilic mean and why is it important when gaining weight?
- Whole wheat versus processed wheat
- What happens when tribal hunters don't bring home the "bacon"
- Why Amish children have the lowest cases of asthma on the planet
- Why gallbladder surgery is the #3 surgery in America
- The purpose of the gallbladder and it's role in the body
- The one major cause of gallbladder disease
- How to reboot bile flow with a simple 3-ingredient juice blend
- Dr. Douillard says type-2 diabetes is not a pancreatic condition (it's this, instead)
- Why there are more fatty liver disease cases than ever before
- How to naturally stoke your digestive fire through pancreatic enzymes and bile flow
- What five spices (when consumed together) help you produce more of your own digestive juices?
- Hunter-gatherer fiber intake versus the SAD (standard American diet) model
- How to make your own "prebiotic slime"
- How to clean and move your lymph with natural, antioxidant-rich foods
- The do's and don'ts of today's podcast
Questions I Ask
- "What exactly do you do over there at LifeSpa?"
- "What exactly is Ayurveda?"
- "If we are to rebuild our microbiome and detoxify, which would we do first?"
- "How would we reintroduce bread or dairy back into our diet?"
- "Can you describe exactly what the lymphatic system is and what it does for our body?"
- "There's more cases of fatty liver than ever, now, isn't that correct?"
- "Do our digestive enzymes weaken as we age?"
- "Are you a fan of rebounding?"
- Ben Greenfield
- Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar—Your Brain's Silent Killers by Dr. David Perlmutter
- The 3-Season Diet: Eat the Way Nature Intended: Lose Weight, Beat Food Cravings, and Get Fit
- The 3-Season Diet Challenge
- Body, Mind, and Sport: The Mind-Body Guide to Lifelong Health, Fitness, and Your Personal Best
- The Story of the Human Body: Evolution, Health, and Disease by Daniel Lieberman
- The No-Grain Diet: Conquer Carbohydrate Addiction and Stay Slim for the Rest of Your Life by Dr. Joseph Mercola
"It's not a brain grain effect. I think it's a brain drain effect." — Dr. John Douillard
Who is Dr. John Douillard?
Dr. John Douillard DC CAP is a globally recognized leader in the fields of natural health, Ayurveda, and sports medicine. He is the creator of LifeSpa.com, the leading Ayurvedic health and wellness resource on the web with over 5 million views on YouTube. LifeSpa.com is evolving the way Ayurveda is understood around the world, with over 700 articles and videos proving ancient wisdom with modern science. Dr. John is the former Director of Player Development and nutrition expert for the New Jersey Nets NBA team, bestselling author of 7 health books including his newest Eat Wheat, a repeat guest on the Dr. Oz show, and featured in USA Today, LA Times, and dozens of other national publications. He has been in practice for over 30 years and has seen over 100,000 patients. Dr. John directs LifeSpa, the 2013 Holistic Wellness Center of the year in Boulder, CO.
Contact John, Here:
Like What You Heard?
Then leave an honest rating and review of the show on iTunes.
Positive ratings and thoughtful reviews help get more eyes and ears on the podcast.
And you know what that means...
More eyes and ears mean better guests, and better guests mean better content.
Remember: Without you, none of this would be possible.